Board of Governors Appointment
The Rupertsland Institute Métis Centre of Excellence, an affiliate of the Métis Nation of Alberta, is seeking two distinguished Métis professionals to serve as volunteers on the Institute’s Board of Governors. The appointments are a three-year term.
The nine-member Board of Governors is appointed pursuant to the RLI Articles of Association filed under the Alberta Companies Act; this includes representatives of the Métis Nation of Alberta Provincial Council, business/industry, government, the University of Alberta, and the MNA membership.
RLI is responsible for mandates in Métis education, Métis training, and Métis research. Currently, RLI’s operations is largely funded through Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) and the Institute presently serves the Métis community through education and training supports and through its partnership with the Rupertsland Centre for Métis Research at the University of Alberta.
As members of the Board of Governors for the Rupertsland Institute, the selected candidates must be committed to:
- Setting time aside to participate in strategic planning exercises on an annual basis;
- Governing through an annual review of the Institute’s vision, mission and strategic priorities,
- Establishing broad policies that advance the Institute’s interests and serve the needs of Métis people;
- Accountability to the Institute’s shareholder (the Métis Nation of Alberta Provincial Council on behalf of MNA membership) for the organization’s performance;
- Selecting, appointing, supporting and reviewing the performance of the Chief Executive Officer;
- Acquiring a comprehensive understanding of the Institute’s operational guidelines, policies and procedures;
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable legislation and agreements, including the Institution’s objects and Articles of Association;
- Ensuring the Institute has adequate financial resources to carry out its responsibilities;
- Reviewing and approving business plans, annual operating plans and budgets, quarterly financial reports and activities, and other information as required;
- Participating in the recruitment and selection of Métis representatives to sit on the Rupertsland Centre for Métis Research Council at the University of Alberta;
- Participating in the recruitment and selection of Métis business, industry, or government representatives to sit on the RLI Board of Governors as required.
- Attending scheduled board and committee meetings;
- Acting with professionalism, honesty, and integrity.
These three-year appointments are renewable for one consecutive term. While the positions are voluntary, all travel and meeting costs related to the Board’s or Organization’s business shall be remunerated by RLI.
Comprehensive Knowledge of:
- Métis National Council and its objectives;
- Métis Nation of Alberta and its objectives.
- Demonstrable skills related to candidate’s field of expertise;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Effective conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to use personal and professional experience together with skills and judgement to optimize both the short and long-term performance of Rupertsland Institute.
- Must be an Alberta Métis resident; and a current member of the Metis Nation of Alberta
- Must have a record of success and accomplishment in the public or private sector;
- Must be proficient in Microsoft applications;
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and have the ability to travel as required;
- Must have the ability and commitment to exercise a Board member’s functions.
Online resume application is preferred. Please submit your application to: email@example.com or to:
ATTN: Human Resources
2300 – 10123-99 Street
Edmonton, AB. T5J 3H1
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.