RLI’s labour market services and programs are funded through the Government of Canada’s Aboriginal Labour Market program and these programs and services are structured around a centralized financial system and a decentralized service delivery network comprised of ten Education & Training offices (Métis Training to Employment Services or MTES offices) and two mobile employment services units.
Under the training mandate, RLI seeks to:
- Identify and promote actions that improve education, skill levels and employment opportunities for Métis people;
- Manage and deliver programs that enable Métis individuals to pursue an education, enhance their skill level and to find productive and remunerative occupations and employment;
- Engage the Province of Alberta, the Government of Canada, educational institutions, industry and the Métis community to promote partnerships that enhance education, skill development and employment opportunities for Métis people.
RLI delivers its training mandate to the Métis people in Alberta through the Métis Training to Employment program, which works under a mandate to:
- Assist Métis individuals prepare for, find and keep employment, thereby resulting in client self-sufficiency and savings to income-support programs;
- Ensure that Métis women, Métis youth and Métis persons with disabilities access a fair share of resources as they prepare for, find and keep employment;
- Create labour market programs that are designed to meet the needs of the Métis community and industry and that are accountable to the Métis Nation and its funding partners;
- Create and make available a distinct network of Métis employment services comparable to mainstream services and to locate these services as close as possible to the Métis client community;
- Stimulate, mobilize and encourage industry and other community agencies to act in partnership on labour market related issues and/or activities designed to increase Métis participation in the economy.
View RLI’s training services by visiting the Employment Services page.