Métis Nation of Alberta Appoints new Chair for the Rupertsland Institute
The Métis Nation of Alberta (MNA) is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Tracy L. Friedel as the Chair of the Rupertsland Institute Board of Governors. Dr. Friedel was appointed on February 8, 2012 by the MNA Provincial Council and will serve a five-year term effective immediately. She assumes the position from Interim Chair, Dr. Herb Belcourt who acted in this position for the past six months. Dr. Belcourt will resume his duties as the Vice-Chair of Rupertsland Institute (RLI).
Dr. Friedel is a Métis leader with a strong academic and professional background in the areas of education, training and research. She holds an impressive resume with multiple credentials including; Doctor of Philosophy, Masters in Education, and Bachelor of Commerce degree with distinction. “The combination of education, experience and commitment to the betterment of Métis people in Alberta will make Dr. Friedel an excellent fit as the Chairperson of RLI” said MNA President Audrey Poitras. Responding to her appointment, Dr. Friedel stated “It is with deep humility, profound pride, and a great sense of duty that I accept the important responsibility of leading this organization.” Dr. Friedel is currently a faculty member in the department of Curriculum and Pedagogy at the University of British Columbia.
RLI is governed by a professional Board of Governors which includes representation from the University of Alberta, the MNA, Alberta government, and the private sector. The following individuals make up the RLI Board of Governors:
- Chair and Métis Member: Dr. Tracy Friedel – Professor, University of British Columbia
- Vice-Chair and Métis Member: Dr. Herb Belcourt – Philanthropist and Businessman
- Ex-Officio MNA Member: Audrey Poitras- President, Métis Nation of Alberta
- Ex-Officio MNA Member: Karen Collins – Minister, Education, Training and Research
- Ex-Officio UofA Member: Dr. George Pavlich – Associate Vice-President of Research, UofA
- Ex-Officio UofA Member: Dr. Nathalie Kermoal – Interim Dean, Faculty of Native Studies, UofA
- Private Sector and Métis Member: Don Sieben CA ,Partner – Peterson and Walker, Chartered Accountants
- Government and Métis Member: John Phillips LLB, Chair, Law Enforcement Review Board, Alberta Solicitor General
- One vacancy: (under recruitment).
For more information please contact Aaron Barner: 780-801-9977