MEF & ELCC Métis Scholar Awards
The Métis Nation of Alberta (MNA), Rupertsland Institute (RLI) and the Métis Education Foundation (MEF) are excited to launch two new endowments to complement their current portfolio of 17 endowment partnerships with post secondary partners in Alberta. These two new endowments are held internally with the Métis Education Foundation.
The first endowment will provide financial assistance and encourage achievement of Métis applicants in academic, artistic and athletic excellence. The second endowment will provide financial assistance to Métis citizens entering ELCC studies at provincial post-secondary institutions.
MEF Métis Scholar Award
Awarded to Métis Citizens in pursuit of provincial, national and/or international academic, artistic or athletic excellence pursuits that will enrich the applicant’s life experience and bring recognition to Métis in Alberta.
To be considered for a MEF Métis Scholar Award, an applicant must be:
- In pursuit of provincial, national and/or international academic, artistic or athletic excellence pursuits that will enrich the applicant’s life experience and bring recognition to Métis in Alberta. Preference will be given to applicants that demonstrate academic achievement, financial need and/or excellence in the chosen activity;
- Enrolled in a full-time graduate or undergraduate program in a provincial post-secondary institution where the MEF does not have an endowment agreement;
MEF Early Learning and Child Care Métis Scholar Award
Awarded to Métis Citizens enrolled in a full-time certificate, diploma, undergraduate or graduate Early Learning and Child Care program.
To be considered for a ELCC Métis Scholar Award for Early Learning and Childcare, an applicant must be enrolled in a full-time certificate, diploma, undergraduate or graduate Early Learning and Child Care program.
The deadline for MEF and ELCC Métis Scholar Award applications is Friday December 11th, 2020. Please submit application packages to Lisa Savill at email@example.com
- The number and individual value of both Métis Scholar Awards will be at the discretion of the Métis Scholar Award Selection Committee.
- The number of awards provided may change annually and the value of the awards may vary between $1,500 at a minimum, to a maximum of $10,000. In exceptional circumstances, the Métis Scholar Award Selection Committee may decide to increase the value of the awards to reflect the accomplishments of the various applicants.
- The applicant is not a current client of, or in receipt of funding from, the Rupertsland Institute;
- The applicant must show proof of Métis ancestry by submitting:
a. A current Métis Nation of Alberta membership card; or,
b. A current Métis Nation of Alberta membership card from a parent (supported by the applicant’s long form birth certificate); or,
c. A verifiable Métis genealogical profile showing the applicant’s linkage to the historic Métis Nation in the Canadian Northwest (verified by the MNA).
- The applicant must submit a letter to the Métis Scholar Award Selection Committee explaining how the Métis Scholar Award will support the achievement of excellence in the chosen field. The applicant’s letter can explain the involvement in the Métis Community. Additional consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate they have volunteered with the Métis Nation of Alberta or other entities within the Métis Nation of Alberta’s governance structure.
- Applicants agree to be enrolled in RLI’s Métis Student Association and to receive information from RLI regarding programs and activities. Applicants also agree to have their success highlighted in digital and hardcopy materials produced by MNA, RLI and/or MEF.