December 3, 2021 Deadline to Apply for MEF Métis Scholar Awards
MEF Métis Scholar Awards
The Métis Education Foundation (MEF) offers two Métis Scholar Awards; the MEF Métis Scholar Award and the MEF Early Learning and Child Care Métis Scholar Award. The MEF Métis Scholar Award provides financial assistance and encourages achievements of Métis applicants in academic, artistic and athletic excellence. The MEF Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) Métis Scholar Award provides financial assistance to Métis citizens entering ELCC studies at provincial post-secondary institutions.
The Métis Nation of Alberta (MNA), Rupertsland Institute (RLI), and the Métis Education Foundation (MEF) launched these endowments in 2020. The awards complement the MEF’s current portfolio of endowment partnerships with post-secondary partners in Alberta. The Métis Education Foundation holds both awards internally.
MEF Métis Scholar Award
Awarded to Métis Citizens in pursuit of provincial, national and/or international academic, artistic or athletic excellence pursuits that will enrich the applicant’s life experience and bring recognition to Métis in Alberta.
To be considered for a MEF Métis Scholar Award, an applicant must be:
- In pursuit of provincial, national and/or international academic, artistic or athletic excellence pursuits that will enrich the applicant’s life experience and bring recognition to Métis in Alberta. Preference will be given to applicants that demonstrate academic achievement, financial need and/or excellence in the chosen activity;
- Enrolled in a full-time graduate or undergraduate program in a provincial post-secondary institution where the MEF does not have an endowment agreement;
MEF Early Learning and Child Care Métis Scholar Award
Awarded to Métis Citizens enrolled in a full-time certificate, diploma, undergraduate or graduate Early Learning and Child Care program (ELCC).
Fill out the appropriate form(s) to apply:
Deadline: December 3rd, 2021
General Award Criteria (each award has additional criteria):
- The number and individual value of both Métis Scholar Awards will be at the discretion of the Métis Scholar Award Selection Committee.
- The number of awards provided may change annually, and the value of the awards may vary between $1,500 at a minimum to a maximum of $10,000. In exceptional circumstances, the Métis Scholar Award Selection Committee may decide to increase the value of the awards to reflect the accomplishments of the various applicants.
- The applicant is not a current client of, or in receipt of funding from, the Rupertsland Institute;
The applicant must show proof of Métis ancestry by submitting:
A current Métis Nation of Alberta citizenship card; or,
b. A current Métis Nation of Alberta citizenship card from a parent (supported by the applicant’s long-form birth certificate); or,
c. A verifiable Métis genealogical profile showing the applicant’s linkage to the historic Métis Nation in the Canadian Northwest (verified by the MNA).
- The applicant must submit a letter to the Métis Scholar Award Selection Committee explaining how the Métis Scholar Award will support the achievement of excellence in the chosen field. The applicant’s letter can explain their involvement in the Métis Community. Additional consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate they have volunteered with the Métis Nation of Alberta or other entities within the Métis Nation of Alberta’s governance structure.
- Applicants agree to be enrolled in RLI’s Métis Student Association and to receive information from RLI regarding programs and activities. Applicants also agree to highlight their success in digital and hardcopy materials produced by MNA, RLI and/or MEF.