Employment Counsellor – Online
Position Status: Full Time (40 hrs per week)
Rupertsland Institute (RLI) is an affiliate of the Métis Nation of Alberta and has a triple mandate in education, training and research. With a decentralized network of 10 employment services centres, in addition to two mobile service units, RLI designs and delivers training and education services to more than 100,000 Alberta Métis.
The RLI Vision is: “A Skilled and Knowledgeable, Self-Reliant Métis Nation.”
The RLI Mission is: “To enhance the self-sufficiency and well-being of Alberta Métis through quality education, training, and research.”
As an Online Employment Counsellor with Rupertsland Institute, you will be responsible for assisting Métis clients to achieve long-term sustainable employment. Client interaction is done through online applications and phone conversations. These two positions will be based in the Fort McMurray in the North East region, but clients may originate from across Alberta. Primary duties are:
- Conduct assessments and case management.
- Assist clients with job search, skill enhancement and employment maintenance strategies.
- Assist clients to identify and overcome potential barriers to employment.
- Advise on Métis Nation of Alberta, Rupertsland Institute and other applicable programs and eligibility criteria.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate records and client files.
Develop rapport to better guide clients through employability assessments.
- Assist clients to understand funding eligibility criteria and funding packages, as well as assist the client with the completion of funding applications.
- Enter data in databases and develop individual action plans required by Métis
- Support clients completing their interventions as well as liaise with schools, social workers, project staff and program assistants.
- Coach clients on job search, interviews, and assist with making informed choices with employment/education plans.
- Assist with student loan applications, scholarships, work placements, and bursaries.
- Ensure all electronic and hard copies of files are kept up to date with accurate information.
- Prepare monthly reports and statistics.
- Other duties as required.
To Fit the Role
- Knowledge of Labour Market supply and demand, trends and economic outlook.
- Knowledge of the challenges, barriers, social and economic factors facing Aboriginal, particularly Métis clients.
- Knowledge of Métis culture and the community.
- Knowledge of education programs, institutions, and occupational requirements.
- Ability to multitask, good time management skills, and ability to manage a high case load.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to apply effective counselling techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Organized and demonstrates good time and change management.
- Strong computer skills and experience using internal databases.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Human Services, Social Work, or Career Development and/or three to five years of experience in a related field.
- Successful candidates must reside or be willing to relocate to Fort McMurray, AB.
- Travel up to 25%. Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
Rupertsland Institute offers competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a generous pension plan.
Rupertsland Institute, Fort McMurray, AB
June 1, 2020
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com no later than June 1, 2020, quoting job EC-Online.
Rupertsland Institute thanks all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.